?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

The Burgundy Skirt

Bloody hell! Someone remind me never to work with velour again. It's a git! However, it does look and feel lovely, and I think I can just about forgive it.

The skirt is now made. It took some coaxing, but I now have the measure of it. The trick is in pinning to kingdom come to stabilise the fabric. Or I suppose, I could do the thing properly and actually tack[*] before approaching the sewing machine.

Anyway, here is the fruit of this afternoon's labours.

Here's the front:

I had thought I would put a split in there, but when I tried it on I was happy with it as is. I can always add a split later, if I want to change it.

Here's the back.

I'm not entirely happy with the way the godet was inserted. It's a bit puckered, if I'm honest. However, it doesn't show so much as it's below the shelf created by my bottom, and I really couldn't be bothered to seam-rip[**] the whole thing. The two side godets went in much more easily.

A close up so you can see the colour works with my Sa'aidienne belt

I have to say that I am blooming amazing at colour matching! I didn't take anything from the Sa'aidienne with me to check it would match, I figured I knew it well enough. But I am pretty amazed at how well it works together.

And here it is on my actual person


Tonight, I will tackle gauntlets and hem the skirt. A good day's work, I think.

UPDATE:
The gauntlets are done.





I am still hemming though.


[*] I think the American word is "baste", but as far as I'm concerned, basting is a cooking term, and applies to turkeys.
[**] Seam-rip is a complete misnomer. It's more a case of painstakingly cajoling the seam into giving up a micro-millimetre of sewing.

Comments

( 7 comments — Leave a comment )
diva_c
Aug. 30th, 2011 07:29 pm (UTC)
WHOOT! fabulous. LIKEY like!
bedlam_n_bedlah
Aug. 30th, 2011 07:57 pm (UTC)
Yep, the word is baste here, but we say tack, too. Tack mostly refers to mending something, IIRC.

LOL, so true about the seam-ripping, too! I hate doing that and I always manage to poke a hole somewhere.

And, what pattern did you use for this? Shoshanna's or your own? It looks great...I love the color.

Edited at 2011-08-30 08:00 pm (UTC)
beafarhana
Aug. 30th, 2011 08:38 pm (UTC)
I basically did one long rectangle for the front and two half the width of that one for the backs, plus quarter circles of different radii for the godets. I have very little upper hip/lower hip differential, so I didn't need to do much shaping at the top. I checked the stretchiness of the fabric beforehand, and just made the three panels about an inch narrower than my actual measurements would have been.

My hips are 47", so I made the front panel 22" across, and the back panels 11" across, which makes a total diameter of 44", less seam allowances which probably takes it to about 40" altogether, and it fits ok. I could have made it a leeeeetle narrower, but it's fine. But as was commented on Shushanna's bhuz thread, it would depend on the stretchiness of the fabric.
suzycat
Aug. 31st, 2011 01:16 pm (UTC)
I too have little upper/lower hip differential. I will never forget making one of those elaborate belt patterns where you wrap newspaper around yourself and take darts and tape it and then cut it off to produce a custom pattern.....

... which in my case was pretty much STILL a straight line.
claire_in_teal
Aug. 30th, 2011 08:34 pm (UTC)
I am very impressed with your days efforts! I've sewn stretch velvet before...It was less than fun! Looks good with the belt too.
wigglewhiz
Aug. 31st, 2011 12:48 am (UTC)
My compulsive co-ordination brain deeply approves of your colour-matching. Mmmmm... raspberry.
suzycat
Aug. 31st, 2011 01:14 pm (UTC)
Oooh! Pretty!
( 7 comments — Leave a comment )

Latest Month

September 2017
S M T W T F S
     12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930

Tags

Powered by LiveJournal.com