?

Log in

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Breaking the Rules

This morning I was sewing. I have reached the point where I've done everything I can do on the Hallo Sailor Baladi, until I receive the beads I ordered. Unfortunately Ebay was having a funny five minutes when I did the order, and although the paypal transfer went through, the Ebay part of it didn't. I've messaged the two vendors in question. One of them (who I've bought from before, and has always been reliable) has already said they received the money safely and they're sending the beads I asked for. The other one I haven't heard from yet. I'm sure it won't be a big problem, but I'm waiting on these deliveries, so the Hallo Sailor is in limbo until they arrive.

So I broke my One Project At A Time Rule, and picked up the Fab Crazy Floral costume, which has been on hiatus for a good long while. I'm not expecting to spend more than a week or so on it, as I'm hoping those pesky beads will be turning up soon, but I can make some progress with it.

By way of recap, because I can't expect everyone to remember all my sewing projects, the Fab Crazy Floral was a costume that somehow didn't go right. It's got a bra that I like and want to keep, but the skirt that I originally planned for it was terrible, and just didn't work *at all*. I had to do a lot of undoing of beading, which is quite soul-destroying! And then I put it away, until I was feeling the love a bit more, and could think about how to make it work. I knew it would take a while, and actually it's been just over a year. But I'm feeling a lot more well-disposed towards it now.

The main problem was the skirt. The floral fabric, while having a lovely print, and being a dream to drape, was too flimsy for skirts. So the fixing had to involve making a new skirt, in more appropriate fabric, while still incorporating the floral fabric into the design, in order to make the bra & skirt look like they belong together!

I think I've sussed out how I'm doing this. I'm making my usual mermaid skirt, in black lycra, and using the floral to extend the godet at the back, which will give the skirt more swoosh, and also adding the floral to the front split, for frontal swoosh. Then (and this is perhaps the trickiest part, because I've got no tailor's dummy and I'll have to do this flat), I'll be adding a drapé to the top of the skirt.

Then to bring the black lycra into the bra, again with the view to making them look like they belong together, I'll be adding some black drapé there.

Today I got the skirt made. I still need to add the front split godets, and the drapé, but I'm happy with the swooshiness of it so far. I've been swooshing around my living room like nobody's business!

The new skirt - back godets

Comments

( 3 comments — Leave a comment )
hazelstitch
Jan. 30th, 2013 10:52 am (UTC)
Oh very swoosh, even lying down :)
suzycat
Jan. 30th, 2013 12:32 pm (UTC)
Oh, it's GORGEOUS!!!!!
mekyria
Jan. 30th, 2013 12:32 pm (UTC)
swoosh away! I love to see it with the drape and bra, and matching huge flower in your hair. The undoing of beading doesn't get less painful unfortunately, even after all those years it sucks when you have to undo something you worked so hard on.
( 3 comments — Leave a comment )

Latest Month

July 2017
S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Tags

Powered by LiveJournal.com